Dr. Citsabehsan (Saab) Devendran
I am a Postdoctoral Research Fellow from Ipoh, Malaysia. In December, 2011, I obtained a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering. Following that, I was conferred with a PhD (Engineering) in May, 2016 in the field of Acoustic Microfluidics (commonly known as Acoustofluidics), looking at developing particle manipulation techniques within batch process systems, both in liquid and air. I have been a Research Fellow in the Laboratory for Micro Sytems (LMS) since.
My expertise include microfluidic cell handling, acoustic streaming, acoustic radiation forces, micro/nano fabrication, air coupled acoustics, bulk acoustic waves and surface acoustic waves.
At Monash, I am looking at understanding how surface acoustic wave systems (SAW) interact with a fluid, resulting in distinct acoustic pressure and streaming fields, thus resultant particle migration patterns. Furthermore, applying my knowledge of acoustic based microfluidic systems and with the help of biologists, I am currently investigating the interaction between high-frequency acoustic fields and a range of biological matter.
Besides my love for research, I am an avid SCUBA diver and love diving in tropical waters (I am from Malaysia 😊) as well as the lovely temperate waters of Melbourne, Australia! I dabble in other outdoor activities such as obstacle courses (i.e. Tough Mudder, Spartan), running and a range of competitive sports. On the other hand, I have a keen interest in psychology, behavioural studies and macroeconomics. I enjoy cooking and travelling the world to learn about different cultures, food and of course to explore the underwater world!
- H. A. N. Le, H. Deng, C. Devendran, N. Akhtar, X. Ma, C. W. Pouton, H-K. Chan, A. Neild, T. Alan. Ultrafast star-shaped acoustic micromixer for high throughput nanoparticle synthesis. Lab Chip, 2020,20, 582-591
- J. Brenker, C. Devendran, A. Neild, T. Alan. On-demand sample injection: Combining acoustic actuation with a tear-drop shaped nozzle to generate droplets with precise spatial and temporal control. Lab Chip, 2020,20, 253-265
- C. Devendran, J. Carthew, J. E. Frith, A. Neild. Cell Adhesion, Morphology, and Metabolism Variation via Acoustic Exposure within Microfluidic Cell Handling Systems. Adv. Sci. 2019, 6, 1902326
- Y. Zhang, C. Devendran, C. Lupton, A. de Marco, A. Neild. Versatile platform for performing protocols on a chip utilizing surface acoustic wave (SAW) driven mixing. Lab Chip, 2019,19, 262-271
- A. Fakhfouri, C. Devendran, A. Ahmed, J. Soria, A. Neild. The size dependant behaviour of particles driven by a travelling surface acoustic wave (TSAW). Lab Chip, 2018,18, 3926-3938.
- A. Fakhfouri, C. Devendran, T. Albrecht, D. J. Collins, A. Winkler, H. Schmidt, A. Neild. Surface acoustic wave diffraction driven mechanisms in microfluidic systems. Lab Chip, 2018,18, 2214-2224
- D. J. Collins, R. O'Rorke, C. Devendran, Z. Ma, J. Han, A. Neild, Y. Ai. Self-aligned acoustofluidic particle focusing and patterning in microfluidic channels based acoustic waveguides. Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 074502 (2018)
- J. W. Ng, C. Devendran, A. Neild. Acoustic tweezing of particles using decaying opposing travelling surface acoustic waves (DOTSAW). Lab Chip, 2017,17, 3489-3497
- R. Habibi, C. Devendran, A. Neild. Trapping and Patterning of Large Particles and Cells in a 1D Ultrasonic Standing Wave. Lab Chip, 2017, 17,3279-3290
- C. Devendran, D. J. Collins, Y. Ai, A. Neild. Huygens-Fresnel Acoustic Interference and the Development of Robust Time-Averaged Patterns from Traveling Surface Acoustic Waves. Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 154501 (2017)
- Y. Hu, Y. Wu, C. Devendran, J. Wei, Y. Liang, M. Matsukata, W. Shen, A. Neild, H. Huang, H. Wang. Preparation of Nanoporous Graphene Oxide by Nanocrystal-masked Etching: Toward Nacre-mimetic Metal Organic Framework Molecular Sieving Membrane. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2017, 5, 16255-16262
- M. Sesen, C. Devendran, S. Malikides, T. Alan, A. Neild. Surface acoustic wave enabled Pipette on a Chip. Lab Chip, 2017,17, 438-447
- J. W. Ng, D. J. Collins, C. Devendran, Y. Ai, A. Neild. Flow-rate-insensitive deterministic particle sorting using a combination of travelling and standing surface acoustic waves. Microfluid Nanofluid (2016), 20(11), 1-12
- C. Devendran, T. Albrecht, J. Brenker, T. Alan, A. Neild. The importance of travelling wave components in standing surface acoustic wave (SSAW) systems. Lab Chip, 2016,16, 3756-3766
- A. Fakhfouri, C. Devendran, D. J. Collins, Y. Ai, A. Neild, Virtual membrane for filtration of particles using surface acoustic waves (SAW). Lab Chip, 2016, 16, 3515–3523
- D. J. Collins, C. Devendran, Z. Ma, J. W. Ng, A. Neild, Y. Ai, Acoustic tweezers via sub–time-of-flight regime surface acoustic waves. Science Advances, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2016, 2, no. 7, e160008
- C. Devendran, D. R. Billson, D. A. Hutchins, A. Neild, Optimisation of an acoustic resonator for particle manipulation in air. Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 224:529-538, (2016)
- C. Devendran, N. R. Gunasekara, D. J. Collins, A. Neild, Batch process particle separation using surface acoustic waves (SAW): integration of travelling and standing SAW. RSC Adv, 6:5856-5864 (2016)
- C. Devendran, I. Gralinski, A. Neild, Separation of particles using acoustic streaming and radiation forces in an open microfluidic channel, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 17, 879-890 (2014).
- Outstanding Reviewer for Lab on a Chip in 2017. Lab Chip, 2018,18, 1398-1398 - May, 2018
- Best Poster @ ANZNMF 2016 - March, 2016
- Faculty Postgraduate Publication Award - Feb, 2016
- Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) - 2012